History of the Lodge – Part 1
In the year 1770 the Grand Lodge of Scotland granted a charter to a lodge named The Oswald of Dunnikier, which was allotted the number 161 on the roll.
Unfortunately lodge no 161 did not flourish as was anticipated because of financial difficulties in 1790 and ultimately it was declared dormant in the year 1816.
Then in the year 1867 Bro Alex Muirhead Melville of the Lodge of Kirkcaldie no 72 and half of the office bearers and other members of that said lodge resigned and decided to form a new Lodge.
1866 ~ 1867 Minutes taken from Lodge of Kirkcaldie no 72 the year before the split and the events leading to the formation of a new Lodge
The year of the Schism in the Lodge of Kirkcaldie, but at the beginning of the year there was no sign of the impending split. The old year had finished on a note of real good will and the Lodge in January set about its routine business in good style, actually successfully holding a meeting on the 2nd January; as experience had proved a very difficult proceeding on such a date. Further meetings were held on the 5th and 9th January, at the latter meeting four Intrants were entered, passed and raised, viz:- William Angus a Merchant from Glasgow, David Hume a Harbour Master in Dysart, David Watt a Baker in Dysart and George Martin a Seaman from Pathhead. David Watt was to become the first Substitute Master of Lodge St.Clair No. 520 and was for many years the Provost of Dysart.
David Hume the Founder Builder and first Master of No. 520, was one of the most remarkable men, who have occupied the Chair of No. 72. We will hear more of him later in this story. A.M. Melville is the Proposer and Robert Stott the Seconder of both Dysart Candidates. The Lodge carries on the even tenure of its ways with a steady
stream of candidates coming forward, but with no outstanding event until 2nd October, when an Invitation is received from Lodge Lindores No. 106, inviting “72” to be represented at the ceremony of laying the Foundation Stone of the new Burgh School at Newburgh on 11th October. The Lodge agrees and 34 members attend, receiving 7/6 per head for Travelling Expenses, the Tyler receiving an extra 3/- in lieu of the loss of Wages.
An unusual event occurs on 16th October when the Secretary opens the Lodge, but as the only other Office-Bearers present was the Junior Warden Bro. Stott, the latter is “moved to the Chair”, conducts the three degrees and closes the Lodge in due course, happy informal days. We meet again in a more formal fashion on 7th November, when one Candidate is entered, passed and raised, we also meet on 1st December at 6 o’ clock, when one of the candidates is a Seaman, which possibly accounts for the early start. The Nomination and Election Meeting and a fateful one too is held on 5th Dec., and the new term of Office-Bearers are as follows:-
R.W.M. Thomas Gilchrist.
P.M. A.M. Melville.
D.M. A. Torrance.
S.W. Ben Parker.
J.W. Robert Stott.
Joint Chaplains Revd. N. Johnstone.
Secretary Wm. Muir.
Treasurer David Bonellie.
S.D. George Erskine.
J.D. James Michie.
M/S & L/V George Laing.
Steward David Hutton.
C.P. Robert Bruce.
Tyler Robert Lessels.
As it happens the Minute submitted of this meeting, was in fact questioned at a later date, and the writer has had to grope his way to an understanding of what was really going on in Lodge Kirkcaldie at this time.
Secretary Muir originally writes his Minute thus:-
“The following Committee was appointed to Audit the Books, and arrange the festival of St. John’s day; Master and Wardens, Thomas Martin, James Milne to have a good supper at as cheap a rate as possible”.
However a later interlining occurs, probably but not certainly, in the hand writing of A.M. Melville. This was placed after the name of Brother Milne, and reads “and it was understood”. This introduces some ambiguity in the Minutes, and shows that the scribe or his advisers were not too sure of themselves. The Minute goes on ………… “it was then agreed to have a Torchlight procession on same night, Committee to arrange with Artillery Band”.
Five nights later a special meeting of the Lodge is called, to consider a letter received from the Master-Elect Thomas Gilchrist “declining to accept of that Honour” (i.e. election to the Chair). The Brethren accepted the withdrawal and agreed to call a “pro re-nata” meeting, for the Master and INNER GUARD. This is the first mention of Inner Guard in the history of the Lodge of Kirkcaldie, and it is strange indeed that the new Office is to be created, at a most crucial time in that same history. The pro renata meeting is duly held, and A.M. Melville is again elected as R.W.M. and Henry Blackwood is elected as our first Inner Guard.
Another meeting is held on 19th December, when after a first degree, the Secretary Bro. Muir reads a letter from the Magistrates of Kirkcaldy, declining permission to allow the proposed Torchlight procession. The Minute continues “After a good deal of discussion regarding the propriety of the R.W. Master and Secretary in sending the letter on 11th December” (the letter referred to, was evidently sent to the Magistrates, requesting their permission to hold the procession).
“The following Committee was appointed to wait on the Magistrates, to reconsider (sic) on their decision, if not granted, to report the same to the Secretary to Advertise said Torchlight (procession) not to take place, being stopped by the above. — Committee – James Milne, Robert Stott, Angus Martin”.
The Lodge also agreed at the meeting to donate £1.1/- towards the Poors Coal Fund, and to extend the Patronage of the Lodge to a Ball to be held in February. The Audit Committee met on 21st December and engaged Henry Blackwood to deliver the circulars calling the St. John’s Festival at a fee of 7/6d the Secretary was instructed to get the circulars printed. It is highly improbable that he ever did; Brother Muir drew
£2.12/- in emoluments, plus 4/- for Postages and went home to write out his resignation. It is unlikely now that we will ever hear the full story of December 1866, was there a movement afoot to form a new Lodge at the beginning of the month, and had the mysterious withdrawal of Brother Thomas Gilchrist, the Master Elect of “72” anything to do with his hearing something about a forthcoming secession?
Obviously Brother Muir and in a lesser degree Brother Melville, had been severely criticised at the meeting of 19th December. Prima Facie, no fault can be found with the Master and Secretary, seeking the permission of the Magistrates before proceeding with a Torchlight procession, but reading between the lines of the Minute, one can gather the suspicions of a Section of the Lodge, that the affair had been handled, with the idea of obtaining the refusal of the Magistrates permission, rather than their sanction. Whatever the truth of the matter, either following the meeting of 19th December or before it, the concept of a new Masons Lodge in Kirkcaldy was born.
Whether A.M. Melville was an active participant during the early moves is doubtful, but he cannot have been ignorant of the fact that the movement was afoot; and also that the success of the movement depended on his participation. Whatever was passing through the mind of the Master of Lodge 72, the majority of the Brethren of the Lodge was unaware of the threatened secession. Brother A.M. Melville presides over a Special Meeting of the Lodge on 26th December, at which the resignation of the Secretary is read. Bro. A. Dewar moves and P.M. Bro. John Gray seconds that the Minute Book be laid on the Table, before proceeding to business, this was done. Brother Maurice Simpson was then elected Secretary, Bro. John Gray now moves that a copy of the letter sent to the Magistrates regarding the Torchlight procession be produced. The Inner Guard is sent to Brother Muir’s house to procure the same, but without success, what Brother Gray expected to clear up, from a copy of this letter is not clear. The following night 27th December, the Lodge meets for the Installation and St. John’s Festival. A.M. Melville installs his Office-Bearers, as he had done many times before. The Lodge adjourned to the large room for the Supper, “and enjoyed themselves in a harmonious manner”, yet only four days later the Lodge is to meet again to consider the multiple resignation of Office-Bearers.
Strangely enough A.M. Melville signs the Minute of the Installation Meeting of 27th December 1866. Did Brother Maurice Simpson walk down from his quarters to the shop of A.M. Melville, near the foot of Kirk Wynd, at the request of the latter, so that he should complete his last task for the Lodge of Kirkcaldie?
Something like that must have occurred, because before the date of the next Lodge meeting, Brother A.M. Melville the newly installed Master, the driving force and guiding light of “72”, for over 16 years had resigned.
The good ship “Kirkcaldie” sailed into the New Year, not only minus her Captain but also about 50 of her Crew, including Depute Master A. Torrance and Chaplain Revd. Walter Welch. On 1st January 1867 the Senior Warden Brother Ben Parker opens the Lodge at a special meeting, hurriedly called to consider the situation created by the resignation of the Senior Office-Bearers. The Brethren present at the meeting agree to seek advice of Grand Secretary on the correct procedure in such a case, and meet again in fourteen days. The non-seceding members still seem to be ignorant of the move towards forming a new Lodge.
Long before the 15th January however the secret is out, and another emergency meeting is held on 5th January. The Minute states that “the Lodge met tonight according to private agreement”. The Junior Warden is in the Chair and the following motions are passed:-
“The resigning Brethren to be asked their reasons for doing so”.
“Sister Lodges in the district, to be written to, asking them to withhold their recommendation to any application, which may be made to them, by any of the dissenting Brethren, with a view of supporting their Petition to Grand Lodge, for the formation of a new Lodge“.
“The following Committee to draw up a Petition to Grand Lodge:-
Ben Parker, George Stott, Maurice Simpson, A.Dewar, James Milne and J. Stewart”.
The Meeting of the 15th of January, however marks the end of the period of confusion for Brother James Dick is unanimously elected Master and is installed by P.M. Bro. John Gray, Thomas Laing (Senior) is then elected Depute Master and installed by the newly installed Master. The Secretary and P.M. John Gray are then sent by the Lodge to Bro. A.M. Melville to fetch the Jewels etc. belonging to the Lodge. We imagine that Brother John Gray would carry out this duty in a very dignified manner, and that he would derive more satisfaction from the interview then Brother Melville did. The resignations of the Joint Chaplains (Brother Reverend Norman Johnstone and Brother C. Macdonald) are read and accepted, and poor “72” is now without the benefit of a
Clergy. Before proceeding further with the fateful year of 1867, let us look at some of the details of Lodge business in 1866. Twenty-nine Initiates are put through during the year. The Entrance fee remains at 31/6d, of which the Tyler now receives 2/- and Robert Bruce 1/-. One Brother affiliates during the year, and an Apprentice of Lodge No. 272 is Passed and Raised in the Lodge of Kirkcaldie. Eleven brothers from other Lodges (three from England and one from Ireland) receive help and Bro. A.M. Melville is paid £2.13/6d for new Aprons and repairs to the old ones. The largest payment by far, is the expenses of the deputation to Newburgh which totals £12.18/-.
We still pay 3/6d per meeting as rent, at the Public Buildings. A.M. Melville write the Audit Statement on 21st December and signs same along with Thomas Martin, Robert Stott, Ben Parker and James Milne. Oddly enough the four members who sign after A.M. Melville were to remain with their old Lodge. This was the last time that A.M. Melville is to sign the Cash Book, it is also the last time that Thomas Martin is to sign, the ex-Treasurer and old timer of the Lodge passes away, a few days later early in the New Year.
The Lodge funds at 21st December 1866 amounts to £10.4/4½d, as against £12.7/8½d at the beginning of the Year.
Reflecting on the causes which led up to the schism of 1866/67, it would be too specious to state the cause was a disagreement over a Torchlight procession, though it is the opinion of the writer, that the criticism experienced at the meetings held in December over the proposed procession which started the ball rolling. The germ of the quarrel was born in 1850, when A.M. Melville ably assisted by John Gray, Robert Philp and others who rescued the old Lodge from the deplorable state into which it had fallen. The influx of Candidates which came along under Brother Melville’s inspired drive and leadership, ranging from members of the Aristocracy, to members of the Merchant class and trading community of the neighbourhood. It is a far cry from 1850 when it was back to the days when then the Lodge of Kirkcaldie was purely operative in membership, but prior to the present it is undoubtedly still operative in character, with all the virtues associated with the frugal Scots working man but also with all the drawbacks of the inherent conservative caution, which centuries of toil and poverty had bred in them. That this class of operatives continued to join the Lodge after 1850, is apparent from the Books and there we have it as it should be, all classes of the community meeting on the level in the Lodge.
Nevertheless the differences in outlook of the members of the two sections of the Lodge, must at times have been very difficult to reconcile, and the Jeremiah Bain incident of 1853 displayed this to the full, the line of fission in the Lodge. The somewhat high handed action of the R.W.M. at this time and the consequent branding of the five erring brethren (all respected and trusted men), must have cost him the respect of a large section of the Lodge. After the re-admission of the five, it is obvious even from the sparse Minutes available, that Bro. John Gray is the rallying figure of the old members of the Lodge, and Bro. A.M. Melville commands the support of nearly all the others. The surprising thing is not that the split did occur, but that it did not happen years earlier, and this was due entirely to the efficient handling of the Lodge by Bro. A.M. Melville. It is probable that even in December 1866, A.M. Melville was against the idea of secession, but that events proved too strong for him at the finish, and that he finally accepted the inevitable. Certainly no other member of “72” could have brought together men like James T. Oswald, the Laird of Wemyss, Revd. Norman Johnstone, Revd. Walter Welch and Lord Loughborough (now Earl of Rosslyn) to mention only a few, and while some of those I have mentioned, served only as figure heads, still there was always efficient and nearly ever present A.M. Melville to run the Lodge effectively.
The new Lodge was granted a Charter from the Grand Lodge of Scotland on 4th February 1867, and was consecrated on 8th April of that year.
The first Office-Bearers were:-
Office in “468” Last Office in “72”
James T. Oswald Master Past Master
A.M. Melville Depute Master Master
Earl of Rosslyn Substitute Master Past Master
Andrew Currie Senior Warden Past Senior Warden
William Drysdale Junior Warden M.M.
William Muir Treasurer Secretary
Andrew Torrance Secretary Past Depute Master
Donald McNaughton Senior Deacon M.M.
David Pearson Junr. Junior Deacon M.M.
Revd. Norman Johstone Joint Chaplain Joint Chaplain
Revd. Walter Welch Joint Chaplain Joint Chaplain
Jon Torrance Inner Guard M.M.
Henry Blackwood Tyler Inner Guard.
The old Lodge was left with a number of P.M’s, including John Gray, both Senior and Junior Wardens, Secretary and Treasurer, both Deacons, also handyman Robert Bruce as well as their Steward and Tyler. Lodge “72” holds another meeting in January this year, their fourth this month, and on the 30th to boot at which the resignations, of James Michie (Junior Deacon) and Henry Blackwood (Inner Guard) is intimated. The former has left the Town to seek work up North, while Henry Blackwood has joined the new Lodge as Tyler, as our first ever appointed Inner Guard did not serve us very long.
Strangely enough “72” decide to continue in the old tradition, and do without an Inner Guard. The reader will also note that Lodge 468 had a Substitute Master long before the Lodge of Kirkcaldie. The Secretary reads correspondence from Provincial Grand Secretary regarding a proposed deputation to Provincial Grand Lodge on 5th February. Though not stated the object of the deputation seems to be a complaint against one or more of the Seceders, though exactly for what or against whom is not clear. Certainly the Past Secretary has raised the anger of a large section of the Lodge, this crops up periodically in the Minutes in 1867.
The members of the Deputation are the Master James Dick, Wardens Ben Parker and Robert Stott, P.M. John Gray and Brothers Milne, Christie, Dewar and Smart. Brother David Hume moves that the travelling expenses of the deputation be paid by the Lodge, which is agreed to. On 1st February the meeting sends Brothers Smart and Bonellie to the residence of Past Secretary Muir, for the Lodge Roll Book, which they get along with a “Scribble” Book (Scroll Book?), “both of which was (sic), in a very disgraceful condition”. It was agreed that those Books be sealed and taken to the Provincial Grand Lodge at Cupar.
The Minute of this meeting has rather an unusual termination:-
“After the Lodge was closed, Brother Smart came to the R.W.M., and informed him that he thought he knew where there was other property belonging to Lodge No. 72, and being a faithful Mason prude (sic) that the R.W.M. allow him and Brother Bonellie, permission to go and obtain it from Brother Muir.
Brother Smart being unsatisfied, thinks there is another Roll Book, and that he could nearly tell where it is, and being a faithful Brother, to his Mother lodge considers it his duty to do so”.
What a pity our Brethren of last century, did not have the same tender solicitations for the Minute Book of the Lodge, which was completed in 1853. Its information would be of priceless value today, the loss of this Book and others of like value, must be attributed to this stormy period in our history. To be sure the Lodge met the day after the Provincial Grand Lodge Communication in Cupar. Everyone would be dying to know what had happened, and the R.W. Master duly gives his report. Alas Bro. Maurice Simpson though an excellent scribe, does not go into detail.
On the Motion of Brother Erskine seconded by Brother Roddom, it was unanimously agreed that all “dissenting brethren”, be excluded from having either voice or vote in the Lodge, and that they be treated as visiting Brethren. The old members had realised that the Seceders were still members of 72, and could return in a body and swamp any vote. This was unlikely to occur, but they were taking no chances.
The R.W.M. moves that Brother Gilmour be paid 7/6d, for his help in drawing up Petitions, Testimonials etc., which were sent to Grand Lodge, this was agreed. An Inventory was also ordered to take place on 9th February and a Committee appointed to see it through. The Inventory is minuted, as is also a list of missing articles. The Lodge Books mentioned are:- One Minute Book, One Treasurers Book, One Roll Book, One Scroll Book, One Letter Book and One Petition Book. The Minute Book (commenced 1853), the Treasurers Book (commenced 1821) and the Petition Book (commenced 1865) they are still with us, but the others have gone the way of all flesh. At the meeting of 6th March the Secretary minutes that he is asked to read the Minutes of the previous meetings, and that the Brethren approve of them. Thus painfully and slowly is the modern regular routine of Lodge business formed.
During the April meetings the Secretary minutes the number of Brethren present. On the 9th it was 16, on the 10th it was 22, on the 12th it was 27, on the 19th it was 20 and on the 25th it was 27. Note the meetings on successive nights. The Lodge also met at 10.30am on the 26th April, when 25 members form a Deputation, and therewith proceed to St. Andrews, there to assist the Provincial Grand Master in laying the Foundation Stone of the new College. The members receive 5/- each from the Lodge Funds to defray travelling Expenses. Forty-seven members were present on 22nd May, when after an Initiation, the R.W.M. Bro. James Dick, submits a Lecture on Freemasonry.
By now the Lodge had settled down, after the shock of the secession and in a great measure this was due to the character and capabilities of the Master. He was a
candlemaker by trade, and his shop was situated at No. 254 High Street (present numbering) opposite the foot of Oswalds Wynd. He built the property now 40/42 Townsend Place, when this quarter was really the “Back o’ the Toon”. Obviously Brother Dick took the members of the Lodge in hand, when their indignation and resentment was inclined to make them childish in their protestations. He showed them that the Lodge was quite capable of managing its own affairs, if the members themselves settled to the task. It is said that the Hour brings the Man, Lodge 72 was indeed fortunate that in 1867, the emergency created by the schism, did indeed bring the man — James Dick, it was he who initiated our first Benevolent Fund.
On the 5th June we have an Intrant called Robert Wallace, Robert had recently been appointed Caretaker of the Public Buildings, where now the two local Lodges met. The Caretaker is paid 1/6d per meeting by the Lodge as a fee for tidying up the Lodge Room, and for putting on a fire. As Robert Bruce our Assistant Tyler is also paid per meeting, the Treasurers Book of this period, has quite a patriotic flavour with its frequent entries of Wallace and Bruce. We gather from the Minutes, that the Secretary now reads the Minutes at each Quarterly meeting. An echo of the past is heard on 26th June, when P.M. John Gray gives notice of Motion “That Brother Jeremiah Bain, be allowed back to the Lodge”. The strange thing about this notice of motion is that it is never mentioned again in the Minutes. This is clearly due to an omission by the Secretary for Jeremiah Bain signs the Attendance Book for the first time on Dec. 26th 1867 (St. John’s Supper), and regularly attends the meetings for many years after this date. So fully fourteen years after the great scandal, the old man is at last made welcome, but it required a disruption in Lodge Kirkcaldie to make it possible. Note also that John Gray, the leading figure among the delinquents, was the instigator of Jeremiah Bain’s re-admission.
Again let us note how the customs of today had their early beginnings, at this meeting arrangements were made for sending a deputation (at their own expense), to support Grand Lodge in laying the Foundation Stone of the new Poorhouse in Edinburgh. This took place on July 4th, and the Tyler receives his usual payment for loss of Wages, the total expense to the Lodge of the outing was 14/9d. The Lodge also decided this year that the Master and Wardens should attend the Grand Lodge Quarterly Communications, and were surprised to learn that extra fees were payable before this could take place, Bro. Patterson the Proxy Master of the Lodge explains this to the Brethren. This healthy interest in the activities of Grand Lodge is maintained, and the
members debate on how the Master and Wardens should vote at the next communication on 4th November.
On 5th November a proposal is made to drop St. John’s Festival, and to substitute an open Social Evening, at which Wives and Sweethearts could attend with members, this revolutionary proposal was later dropped. The Lodge exercises the new powers regarding Visiting Brethren leaving the Lodge Room during the Election of Office-Bearers at the Nomination and Election Meeting of 3rd December.
There were few changes and the new list reads:-
R.W.M. James Dick
D.M. Thos. Laing
P.M. John Gray
S.W. G.F. Erskine
J.W. G. Laing
Secretary M. Simpson
Treasurer David Bonellie
S.D. John Muckersie
J.D. William Brown
M. of S. Archibald Duff
Steward D. Hutton
C.P. Robert Bruce
Tyler Robert Lessels.
Note that there is still no Chaplain, Substitute Master or Inner Guard. Forty-five attended the Installation Meeting and St. John’s Supper on 26th Dec., where they did ample justice to the repast provided by Brother Robert Ralley at a cost of 2/- per head. Brother Bonellie records that during 1867 we initiated 21 Candidates and affiliated two members from other Lodges. One intending candidate also forfeited 2/6d, “earnest money when he failed to turn up for Initiation. On the expenditure side our deputation expenses to Cupar and St. Andrews form the largest items, though be it noted that Bro. Ockil returns his 5/- to the Lodge, which he received as his travelling expenses to the latter town.
Several travelling brothers are assisted, one to the unprecedented amount of ten shillings. One of our own members receives £1 from Lodge funds to help him out. For
the first time we subscribe 10/- to grand Lodge Benevolent Fund, and we finish the year with £3.15/1½d in hand, so we have lived somewhat extravagantly this year.
In the Treasurers Book, below the Audit Statement, signed by James Dick, Geo. F. Erskine and John Smart, the following statement occurs:-
1867 – Subscriptions collected by Bro. Smart and Dick ….. £3.16.11d
“ “ “ “ -.10.-
Collected in Lodge …… – . 4. 1½d
Money paid to one …… £2.10/-
“ “ “ three …. -.18/6
“ “ “ two …… -. 2/-
“ “ “ Seven .. -. 7/2 …………. 3.17.8d
Balance in Bro. James Dick’s hand £ -.13/4½d
And this is our very first Benevolent Fund.
Note the anonymity preserved regarding the recipients of the grants, also the large sum – as money was valued at this time – of £2.10/-, to one recipient. The reader will have noted that we have a change of Senior Warden, in the list of Office-Bearers for next year. Brother Benjamin Parker, has returned to his native Eyemouth, there to set up in business for himself as a Grocer, and to marry his Sweetheart, and settle down there for the rest of his days. He never lost his interest in Freemasonry, and transferred his allegiance to Lodge St. Ebbe No. 70, which he served faithfully and well for nearly sixty years. Brother Parker was very friendly with the writers Grandfather, and was indeed the Proposer of James Michie (Senr.) in “72”, and although both men lived to ripe old age, they were never again to meet.
It is a somewhat curious coincidence, that the writer became very friendly with the grandson of Ben. Parker, and had known him for years, before he discovered whose grandson he was. Brother Ben. Parker again re-appears in our story at a later date, although then1867 was a very remarkable year for the Lodge of Kirkcaldie probably the most momentous in her history. I hope I have succeeded in some small way in making the Dramatic Personae live again in the mind of the reader.
This is a reference from the first minute book.
A petition for a charter for a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons to be called The Oswald of Dunnikier
Signed by 71 Master Masons in Kirkcaldy and Neighbourhood was delivered to the Worshipful Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Scotland at the quarterly communication on 4th February 1867.
The Grand Lodge unanimously sanctioned the said petition and a charter was granted and allotted the number 468.
The first office bearers inscribed thereon are –
Right Worshipful Master Bro James Townsend Oswald formally Past Master The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Depute Master Bro Alexander Muirhead Melville formally Right Worshipful Master The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Substitute Master Bro Frances Robert Earl of Rosslyn.formally Past Master The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Senior Warden Bro Andrew Currie formally Senior Warden The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Junior Warden Bro William Drysdale formally Master Mason The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Treasurer Bro William Muir formally Secretary The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Secretary Bro Andrew Torrance formally Past Depute Master The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Senior Deacon Bro Donald Mcnaughton formally Master Mason The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Junior Deacon Bro David Pearson Jr formally Master Mason The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Chaplain Bro Reverend Norman Johnstone formally Chaplain The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Chaplain Bro Reverend Walter Walsh formally Chaplain The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Inner Guard Bro John Torrance formally Master Mason The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Tyler Bro Henry Blackwood formally Inner Guard The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie 72
Other founder members are recorded from lodges 10,19,25 26 38,72,91,97,120,121,172,181, & 400
Forty-four members are recorded from lodge 72 its understood that lodge no 172 was named st bryce kirkcaldy long since dormant along with lodge no 181
The charter Minute Book Petition Book Attendance Book and Cash Book was delivered to Depute Master Bro A.M.Melville on 8th march 1867.
A Transcipt of the charter is inscribed in the minute book designated the Oswald Of Dunnikier Lodge No 468 dated at Edinburgh 4th day Feburary 1867 and subscibed by
J.W Melville Grand Master
Earl Haddington Grand Depute Master
William Officer Acting Grand Senior Warden
William Barton Acting Grand Junior Warden
W.M A Lawrie Grand Secretary
A.J Stewart Grand Clerk
Unfortunately that we note from the minute book from the years 1867 – 1893 we have no account of the place of meetings but we do know that the festival of St John was always held in the George hotel (now defunct).
The only evidence in the minute book is the date time and name of the Right Worshipful Master.
While it is evident that the celebration of the festival of St John was generally held in the George Hotel
We can only presume that the meetings were held in the public buildings.
As of 1851 the lodge of Kirkcaldie no 72 and the lodge St Bryce no 172 were Co-tenants there for 45 years.
On 4th September 1869 the breathern along with deputations from Lodge 72 and Lodge 400 met at Glasmont for a merry dance and refreshment supplied by Bro A Currie and his wife
On 3rd October 1870 a deputation of 15 brethern headed by R.W.M Bro A Currie went to Glasgow to lay the foundation stone of the Albert Bridge
On 13th October 1870 a deputation went to Edinburgh to lay the foundation stone of the new Royal Infirmary
At the Installation on 19th December 1870 the new jewels which had been purchased were presented to the breathern taking office this evening
On the 10th of April 1872 the RWM Bro A.M Melville and several brethren went to the town of Leslie to lay the foundation stone of the new town house
On 18th July 1872 a deputation was sent to Leven to assist in the laying of the foundation stone of the peoples institute
Another worthy event of recording shows a petition from 16 members of Kirkcaldy trade band to become Masons and form a Masonic band.
It was duly considered and on the 21st of July 1875 at a ceremony at Dunnikier house they were obligated as Apprentice Masons.
The breathern march from the lodge room to the tune of the merry mason played by the new masonic band and were met at Dunnikier House by Bro Oswald
During the afternoon a service of fruit was enjoyed by the breathern ladies and children there after dancing races and football and other amusements took place
The Brethern then marched home by way of Gallatown about 8 o’clock Bro H Deas sent two corn carts while Bro’s Muir and Wellcott with their carriages conveyed the ladies and children and some of the older Brethern to their homes
On 18th September 1876 a deputation went to Glasgow to meet His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales at the laying of the foundation stone of the Glasgow post -offices
On 2nd Octobe1876 a deputation went to Dunfermline to assist in the laying of the foundation stone of the corporation building
On 4th Febuary it was agreed by the Lodge to give 21/ to Bro Bonnella Treasurer of lodge 72 who lost his right arm at Markinch a few weeks ago
On 16th October 1883 we learn of the passing to the Grand Lodge above of P.M Bro Alex.Muirhead Melville Bro Melville was one of the founding members of our Lodge and was master from 1871-73
On 14th of November 1883 it was resolved to support Bro James Townsend Oswald as nominee for the office of Provincial Grand Master of Fife and Kinross.
On the 3rd of march 1884 it is reported that 12 brethren along with the Right Worshipful Master met at Dysart parish church hall and marched to the town house to join the procession to lay the foundation stone of the Normand memorial hall with full Masonic honors by the Provincial Grand Master Bro J T Oswald and supported by Bro The Earl of Rosslyn Past Grand Master Mason of Scotland and Bro Edward Balfour of Balbirnie Provincial Substitute master 23 Fife Lodges were represented.the hall being the gift of Mrs James Norman in memory of her husband and is dedicated with an Endownment for its uphold
On 3rd December 1884 a communication was read from the Grand Lodge of Scotland requesting a subscription to present Lady Mar a bust of her late husband The Earl of Mar and Kellie Grand Master Mason of Scotland The Lodge agree to Subscibe £1 to the fund
On 26th December 1884 Bro Ronald Crawford Munro Ferguson of Raith and Novar M.P for Ross and Cromerty was entered passed and raised to the noble Degree of Master Mason
On 5th October 1885 Bro M.W.Walker presented to the Lodge a beautiful sword originally belonging to Bro James Young M.D whose name is recorded in the petition for charter from Grand Lodge
In the year 1887 the Lodge became in financial difficulties and on the 9th January 1888 at a meeting held by R.W.M Bro M.W. Walker and supported by Bro Oswald called an emergency meeting to discuss the matter.
So on the 6th of February 1888 the brethren decided to assist the lodge with funds amounting to £6.16/- to keep the lodge afloat.
On 22nd September 1888 a deputation lead by R.W.M Bro Walker went to Kinghorn to witness the laying of the foundation stone at the new school
On 24th September 1888 Bro Randolph Gordon Erskine Wemyss of Wemyss castle was entered passed and raised of the noble order of master mason the R.W.M was supported this evening by J.T Oswald Provincial Grand Master and Bro Briggs Depute Provincial Grand Master and representatives from the following lodges no 69 alloa no 400 burntisland no 531 bridge of weir no 145 160 498 317 no 19 cupar no 520 dysart no 72 kirkcaldie no 570 no 349 st clair edinburgh and no 392 caledonian edinburgh
On 1st October 1888 Bro Robertson presented the Lodge with two wands for the use of by the deacons
At this stage it is reported that the lodge was to settle down in Hunters Hall Kirk Wynd.and at a meeting dated 1st October 1888 the committee were instructed to arrange for a cake and wine banquet on the occasion of the opening of our new lodge room in kirk wynd
The first meeting was held on the 16th of December 1888 and formally opened by R.W.M Bro Walker and assisted by Bro Oswald Provincial Grand Master of fife and Kinross this was noted in the minute book.
On the 27th of December 1888 the lodge held its first festival of St John at Hunters Hall.
On the same evening the breathern of the lodge presented a masonic jewel and apron to Bro Walker for all his hard work before his departure to South Africa
On 2nd March 1889 an aplication was read from The Royal Arch Chapter no 97 for the use of the hall for their meetings it was agreed to charge 3/ per meeting
On 29th April 1889 Bro Grinton senior deacon informed the lodge that he would be resigning his position due to the fact that he was emigrating to California Bro Cursor R.W.M thanked Bro Grinton for all his services and wished him all the best for the future
On 10th April 1889 Bro Hay applied for a demit as he was preparing to emigrated to South Arfica this was approved of by the Lodge and Grand Lodge
On 17th May 1889 a special meeting was held in the Lodge rooms where a Lecture on the depths of freemasonry was explained thereafter the breathern where tested on what they had heard
On 4th June 1889 the tyler Bro Andrew McIntosh had the pleasure of opening the lodge thereafter all the signs of the three degrees were explained by Bro’s Robertson D.M and Melville P.M
On 13th September 1889 a visitation of Lodge Balgonie 764 Markinch which had just been instituted came to witness the workings of a second and third degree before giving these in the own Lodge Bro Dewar the new R.W.M of Lodge Balgonie 764 thanked the Lodge for their heartfelt welcome
On 27th December 1889 P.M Bro Cochrane of Lodge 72 installed the elective office bearers there after he installed Bro Alexander Robertson as Right Worshipful Master.This is the first record of the installed masters degree the brethern then retired to the town house to celebrate the festival of St John when 35 sat down to supper during the evening Bro Major Oswald Provincial Grand Master presented the lodge with his portrait and in his remarks congratulated the lodge on the able manner in which it was worked and the active interest taken by each member in its welfare expressing the hoped that the lodge would soon see its way to build itself a lodge room and saw no reason why it should not acquire its own premises as it had within itself the resources which only require to be stimulate
On the same evening Bro Major Oswald presented Bro John Cursor with a Past Masters Jewel for all his services to the Lodge as R.W.M Bro Cursor thanked the Lodge and informed them of his departure from the district due to work commitments and said the Lodge 468 would always be in his heart
On 18th July 1890 it was agreed by the breathern of the Lodge to charge for the use of the halls these charges would not interfere with the arrangement we have with The Royal Arch Chapter no 97
for small room till 10.30 3/
for small room all night 5/
for both rooms till 10.30 5/6
for both rooms all night 8/6
On 24th February 1890 the R.W.M along with several breathern attended Lodge St Clair of Dysart 520 for the initiation of Lord Loughborough and was very hightly gratified at the reception they recieved
On 22nd March 1890 the R.W.M along with a fine deputation attended the consecration of Lodge Balgonie 764 in Markinch
On 8th September we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of Bro The Earl of Rosslyn he was interred at Rosslyn chapel on 11th of September.(it will be noted that the late Bro signed our petition for a charter as Substitute Master) the R.W.M and several breathern were present at his funeral
On 7th October 1890 we leaen of the passing to Grand Lodge above of our Chaplin The Very Reverend Bro Dean Johnston who had severed as Chaplin for many years
On the 3rd of November 1890 a portrait of the late Bro The Earl of Rosslyn as Grand Master Mason was presented to the R.W.M.
On 1st December 1890 P.M Bro John Curror present the lodge with his portrait
On 29th December 1890 Bro W McIntosh was presented with a gold masonic chain by Provincial Grand Master Bro Major Oswald for his services to the Lodge as Tyler
A meeting of Freemasons resident in the district of Wemyss who were favourable to the formation of a Lodge in the district was held in the Parochial Board office in East Wemyss on 26th April 1890 at 7pm Bro Crookston took the chair and stated that Bro Randolph Gordon Erskine Wemyss of Wemyss castle a member of The Lodge Of Oswald Of Dunnikier 468 since 1888 was in favour of the proposal that a Masonic Lodge be formed in West Wemyss. It was agreed to apply to the Grand Lodge of Scotland for a charter and to name the Lodge Wemyss and to hold the meetings in West Wemyss The charter for Lodge Wemyss, West Wemyss was granted on 7th August 1890 and bore the coveted number 777.
On 25th September 1890 RWM Bro Randolph Gordon Erskine Wemyss was in the chair.
At a meeting of 19th october 1891 alternative accommodation was again considered and it was agreed to appoint a committee to confer with lodge 72 and the royal arch chapter 97 on this very important subject
On 26th October1891 A deputation from the lodge were required to attend by Provincial Grand Lodge to assist in opening a Provincial Grand Lodge at Ladybank and in the ceremonial of the consecration of Lodge King Robert The Bruce no 304
Up to this period it would appear that the fraternal relationship between the Lodge and the Provincial Grand Lodge was sometimes overcast by shall we say purley domestic differences the rights and wrongs of which can only be judged by the wording of the minute book
On 7th March 1892 Bro A Goodall presented to the Lodge a Plumb-rule and ball all of his own workmanship
On 14th March 1892 the Lodge agreed to give ten shillings to the Grand Lodge of Scotland for the benefit of the Lady Campell Buist fund
On 16th May 1892 a letter from Lodge St Clair of Dysart was read asking for as many members to attend a Masonic service to be held in Dysart Parish church
On 11th June 1892 a deputation from the Lodge attended the consecration of Lodge Wemyss 777
On 2nd September 1892 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of Bro Andrew Torrance Bro Torrance was one of the founding members of the Lodge and had held many offices within the Lodge
On 1 October 1892, Brother J T Oswald of Dunnikier, Provincial Grand Master and the Deputation from the Provincial Grand Lodge of Fife and Kinross, Consecrated Lodge Randolph no 776 The proceedings were of the most harmonious nature, although there is no evidence of any one signing the Attendance Book on this occasion.
On 5th December 1892 Bro Welsh presented a new set of working tools to the Lodge which were greatly recieved by the brethren
On 12th December 1892 Bro Ritchie presented to the Lodge a masonic engraving
On 6th March 1893 Bro Heath presented to the lodge a new mossaic pavement with a tasled border all his own work Bromitchell presented the Lodge with a mahogany jewel case and Bro Davie presented a silver insciption for said case these gifts were greatly recieved by the brethren of the Lodge
A special meeting was called On the 5th June 1893 with great sorrow we hear of the death of Bro Major Oswald Provincial Grand Master transcripts of the letter of sympathy and condolences to mrs oswald along with her reply are inscribed in the minute book.In tribute to the memory of the late Grand Master
On the 25th November 1893 The Provincial Grand Lodge of Fife and Kinross held a Funeral Lodge in Kirkcaldy to the sacred memory of our late Provincial Grand Master Bro Major James Townsend Oswald
Up to this stage no records are available of vacating Kirk Wynd Hall but on 4th December 1893 the monthly meeting was held when six Brethern designated by their name were passed to the Fellowcraft Degree and immediately there after raised to the Degree of Master Mason the office bearers were also elected for the year 1894
On 19th March 1894 Bro Robert Milliken informed the Lodge that he intended to stepdown as treasurer Bro Milliken was thanked by the lodge for his work as treasurer for the past 5 years Bro James Walker was then duly appointed treasurer
On 14th April 1894 we hear of the first visitation of Provincial Grand Lodge headed by Bro James H Balfour Melville Provincial Grand Master.
On 8th October 1894 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of the following two brothers Bro R Wallace and Bro R Taylor two letters of condolence were to be sent to their wives
On 19th November1894 at a meeting we are to remove from the public building to Philips school Thistle Street (which was later to become our premises) at a cost of 5/- a night
On 11th February 1895 a deputation from the Lodge attended a masonic service held by Lodge Balfour Melville 809 in the parish church Methil
On the 2nd of march 1896 the Royal Arch Chapter no 97 had purchased the old corn exchange for the purpose of a lodge room and offered Lodge 72 and Lodge 468 a chance to assist offered investment of 31/2% debenture bonds which was accepted. ( debenture form is shown below )
On the 9th of november 1896 the meeting of Lodge no 468 is recorded as being held in the Freemasons Hall Kirkcaldy and at the close of the ceremonial the R.W.M congratulated the brethern on their first meeting in the new hall stating that the freemasons of Kirkcaldy had now an abiding dwelling place of their own and from the number of petitions admitted tonight showed a period of prosperity in the future
On the 22nd June 1897 members of the Lodge assisited The Provicial Grand Master of Fife and Kinross The Right Honourable The Earl Of Rosslyn lay the foundation stone of the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Kirkcaldy ( pictures at foot of page )
On 30th May 1898 a letter from Lodge Kirkcaldie 72 was read asking for a deputation to attend a church service at St James parish church on the 3rd sabbath of June it was agreed to sent such a deputation
On 24th October 1898 the R.W.M Bro Alex Goodall presented a handsome cigar case to Bro George Blair S.W on the occassion of his marriage
On 22nd May 1899 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of Bro David Watson Gardener Tresurer of the Lodge who was taken from us at the early age of 29 years
On 5th November 1899 Mrs Oswald of Dunnikier offered a large picture to the Lodge which was greatly accepted
On 5th February 1900 it was agreed by The Royal Arch Chapter no 97 that we would have a reduction of 2/6 on our monthly rent
On 5th July 1900 it was agreed to attend a procession to mark the peace between the British and Transval Government organised by the Provost and Magistarates of Kirkcaldy
On 7th January 1901 the Lodge had its first musical service Bro Ian Russell being the organist
On 2nd February 1901 a special meeting of the combinded Lodges headed by R.W.M Bro Andrew Adamson of Lodge Kirkcaldie 72 in a memorial service to commemorate the death of her majesty Queen Victoria the service was conducted by Bro Robert Johnston chaplain of Lodge 72
On 10th April 1901 S.M Bro Andrew Menzies was presented with a gold master masons jewel on the occasion of him leaving for Canada
On 26th October 1902 The Lodge held a Divine Service at St Peters Episcopal Church R.W.M Bro Alex Lockhart said he was proud so many sister Lodges attended that day
On 2nd Febuary 1903 a proposal was held in the Lodge to purchace new aprons at a cost of 17/ 6 and new sashes at a cost of 12/ 6 and that the name and number of the Lodge be inscribed upon them in gold lettering at a cost of 3/ 6 for each sash
On 11th April 1904 Bro Jas Robertson Treasurer moved that 50 Life Membership Diplomas begot of which would cost six shillings each seconed by P.M Alex Lockhart
On 15th October 1904 A Deputation of the Lodge attended the laying of the foundation stone at Lodge Union 250 Dumfermline
On 4th December 1904 eighty brethern of various sister Lodges took part in the funeral service for Bro Alex Cruickshanks The brethern were marshalled to the grave in the usual masonic manner Mrs Cruickshanks and family thanked the Lodge for there part in the ceremony
On 20th February 1905 various sister Lodge were represented at the funeral service for Bro James Walker the ceremony was conducted in the usual masonic order
On 18th May 1905 A Deputation of the Lodge was in attendance at the consecration of Lodge St Leonards 935 Kinghorn
On 6th March 1906 a letter from Lodge Odin 917 Dounby Kirkwall asking assistance for there fund on building a new masonic hall a sum of 10/ was granted
On 2nd April 1906 it was agreed to purchase six aprons and sashes from Bro J.C Scott
On 29th April 1906 the Lodge held a Devine Service at St Peters Church The Rev Bro Chas Gardyne gave a very instructive and eloquant service
On 7th February 1907 the Lodge showed their appreciation of Bro Goodalls appointment to the office of Grand Bard to the provincial Grand Lodge of Fife and Kinross
At a Provincial Grand Lodge visitation On 24th January 1910 Bro H.H. Brown Prov Grand Master intimated he had appointed Bro Alexander Robertson P.M Lodge 468 as Prov Grand Depute Master.
On 9th May 1910 the Lodge held a special meeting to pay tribute to the late King Edward VII a letter of condolence was to be sent to the Royal family a copy of the letter is inscribed in the minute book
On 19th June 1910 the Lodge held a divine service at Invertiel Church Bro Rev Robert Glasgow presiding ( see below )
On 5th April 1910 the R.WM Bro George Macleod along with the brethern of the Lodge presented Bro Robert Wallace Secretary with a tea service on the occasion of his forthcoming marriage
On 28th April 1911 a deputation from Lodge 468 headed by R.W.M William Wright and Past Masters McLeod and Hastie attended the laying of the memorial stone of the Freemasons Hall Edinburgh.
On March 18th 1912 A deputation from Lodge St Leonards 935 headed by R.W.M Bro James Gibson and his office bearers worked a third degree
On 8th Feburary 1913 a deputation of the lodge attended the 150th anniversary of Lodge Elgin no 91
At a meeting of the Lodge on 7th April 1913 it was agreed to recommend Bro Lord Bruce now the Earl of Elgin as Prov Grand Master of Fife and Kinross.
On 7th july 1913 R.W Master reported that along with Bros Burt.Wright,Easton and Scott he had attended the installation of Bro R.T Hon Lord Bruce as Provincial Grand Master of Fife and Kinross the ceremonial being carried out by R.W Grand Master Depute Bro Colonel R.King Stewart
On 1st December 1913 the R.W.M Bro T.C Robertson presented two mallets to the Lodge for the use of by the Senior and Junior wardens he himself having made them from the wood of a guncarrage used at the battle of Waterloo
On 16th Febuary 1914 A letter of congratulations was sent to Bro Rt Hon R.C Munro Ferguson M.P of Raith and Novar on the appointment to the important office of governor general of Australia
On 30th March 1914 Bro Milne and Bro Dunbar visited Lodge St Leonards and presented them with two mallets for the use of the Senior and junior Wardens as a mark of respect from Lodge Oswald of Dunnikier 468
On 2nd November 1914 a letter from Grand Secretary asking help from Lord Tullibardine in referance to the brethern collecting and forwarding field glasses to the scottish forces also the lodge to donate £5 to the Prince of Wales war fund
On 6th September 1915 .R.W.M T.C Robertson conferred Honorary Membersip on Bro Henry H Brown I.P.Provincial Grand Master and Bro Tennant Gordon Past Grand secretary who accepted the honor with pleasure
On 14th January 1915 Bro David Usher (secretary) was called to the colours Bro Andrew Todd appointed as interim secretary
On 18th Febuary 1915 the sum of £8-4/ was given by the treasurer for xmas gifts to be sent to brethern serving with the colours
On 25th February 1915 Bro Usher was presented with an Honourarium of £10-10/ for his services as secretary
On 12th March 1915 we learn Pte Bro William Small had been killed in action Bro Small was initiated on 6th September 1915
On 6th November 1916 a donation of £1-1/ was given to Glasgow Royal Infirmary
On 2nd July 1917 a donation of £3-3/ was given to the Scottish red cross
On 20th October 1917 we learn that P.M Bro T.C Robertson had been killed in active duty Bro Robertson was initiated into the Lodge on 18th may 1903 and was Master from 1912-1915
On 17th December 1917 the R.W.M Bro Gentle agreed to send parcels to serving member of the Lodge to the sum of £10 that amounting to around 20 members serving overseas
On 29th December we learn of the death of Bro Captain Elder who had been captured by a German submarine and a letter of condolence be sent to his widow
On 24th December 1917 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of Bro James Lumsden Bro Lumsden was initiated into the Lodge on the 7th October 1897 and was R.W.M from 1915-16
On July 1st 1918 Bro James Reid our Junior Warden has been called to the colours and on the motion of Bro Carron the office bearers were advanced protem
On 14th July 1918 we learn that the eldest son of P.M Bro James Burt has been killed in action a letter of condolence was sent to Bro Burts family
On 19th August 1918 we learn that Bro Second Lieut James Howieson Barnet had been killed in action Bro Barnet was initiated into the Lodge on 18th October 1909
On the same evening we learn that P.M Bro Alex Lockhart is to emigrate to America
On 23rd September 1918 we learn that Bro Gilbert Innes Joe had been killed in action Bro Joe had only been in the Lodge since 8th April 1918
On 21st October 1918 a letter from P.M Bro William Wright senting fraternal greeting from France
On 11th November 1918 the R.W.M had the pleasure of announcing the news that the signing of the armistice with Germany
On 30th November 1918 A Deputation from Lodge Rosyth 1159 headed by R.W.M Bro Vickers were invited into the Lodge to confer a third degree
On 6th January 1919 Bro Hoffman and Bro Anderson of the U.S Navy were introduced to the Lodge Bro Hoffman presented to the Lodge a used shell fired by the U.S Navy as a momento of his visit
On 16th June 1919 the Lodge had the pleasure to send a letter of congratulations to Bro St Clair Oswald on his honour bestowed on him (see below)
CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS
St. James’s Palace, S.W.
3rd June, 1919.
The KING .has been graciously pleased, on
the occasion of His Majesty’s Birthday, to give
orders for the following appointments to the
Most Honourable Order of the Bath for services
in connection with the War : —
To be Additional Members of the Civil Division
of the Third Class, or Companions, of
Colonel St. Clair Oswald, D.L., Chairman,
Fifeshire T.F. Association.
During the war years masonry was at low ebb as many office bearers were called to the colours but as the war ended and peace returned the Oswald of Dunnikier Lodge shared in the flowing tide of entrants.
In the years 1919-1920 the then R.W.M Bro H Carron. Initiated into the lodge 336 Intrants of which 302 were advanced to the mark.
The minutes recorded that during these two years the total meetings held were 131.
And more interesting to note that at 61 meetings two degrees were worked at each.
In the coming years the lodge prospered another 144 intranets were initiated 136 Advancing to the mark
On 8th April 1920 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M Bro Alex Robertson Bro Robertson was initiated into the Lodge on 10th October 1881 and was Master from 1889 – 1890 a memorial service will be held on Sunday 11th April in his memory
On 7th October 1920 Bro Andrew Todd Senior Warden of the Lodge was presented with a handsome dressing case and regalia on his leaving for India
On 1st November 1920 Bro Hines presented to the Lodge the letter G on his leaving for the Mediterrain
On 6th December 1920 the Lodge granted £5 towards the marriage presentation for Provincial Grand Master Bro the Earl Of Elgin
On 21st Febuary 1921 the Lodge granted £10 towards the local war memorial as a first installment
On 16th March 1921 47 brethern were advanced to the Mark Degree
On 19th September 1921 we learn that Bro James Gray Secretary had recieved another asppointment and would be leaving the Lodge Bro Claud Neilson was appointed interim Secretary
On 17th October 1921 33 Brethern were advanced to the Mark Degree
At a meeting dated 7th november 1921 it was agreed the R.W.Master and wardens attend Grand Lodge for the installation of Bro Rt Hon The Earl of Elgin as Grand Master Mason Of Scotland on 30th november and thereafter attend the festival of St Andrew the Lodge to bear all expenses
Continuing a retrospect of the years 1921 and 1922 shows that we still shared the prosperity of the times with Bro David Deas as R.W Master total number of meetings 86 allocated as 38 regular and 48 special 19 of which two Degrees were worked at each total number of intrants 144 of which 136 were advanced to the mark
On 20th February 1922 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M Bro Joseph Barclay who was Master of the Lodge from 1903-1906
On 5th June 1922 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M.James Burt who was Master of the Lodge from 1894-1897 A memorial service was held in St Brycedales Church on the 11th June
On 10th March 1923 representatives of the Lodge attended the consecration of the new Masonic Temple at Lodge Randolph no 776
On 1st July 1923 along with The Lodge of Kirkcaldie no 72 we held A divine Church service at Kirkcaldy Parish Church conducted by Bro Smith-Henderson Chaplain of Lodge 72 the proceeds of £13-16-9 given to Kirkcaldy Hospital
On 4th March 1924 representatives of the Lodge attended the Raising of Bro Earl Haig at Elgins Lodge at Leven no 91
On 17th March 1924 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of our R.W.M Bro William Syme who was Master of the Lodge from 1922 six Past Master were pall bearers at his funeral on the 20th March
On 16th March 1925 we hear that Bro Lord Elgin is to be appointed to the office of Lord High Commissioner a letter of congratulation was sent to Lord Elgin
On the 4th January 1926 the trustees of the three owing bodies Ourselves The Lodge of Kirkcaldie no 72 and The Royal Arch Chapter no 97 agreed to purchase The Unionist club premises (originally Philips school Thistle St) for the sum of £2300.
At a meeting dated 15th November 1926 held in the Masonic Hall Rose Street R.W.Master intimated that the next meeting would be held in the new premises Thistle Street secretary to apply to Provincial Grand Lodge for permission to meet there
On 6th December 1926 we held our first meeting at the new Masonic hall Thistle Street
At a meeting on the 22nd October 1927 at 2.30 pm Bro R.T Hon The Earl of Elgin along with 13 distinguished brethren from Provincial Grand Lodge opened the lodge.
Then a deputation from the Grand Lodge of Scotland headed by Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason Bro Lord Blythswood along with 14 distinguished brethren adjourned the Prov Grand Lodge and Grand Lodge was opened and the temple was consecrated for The Lodge Of Kirkcaldie No 72 and The Oswald of Dunnikier 468.
On 20th October 1928 Bro James Townsend Oswald P.G.M along with brethern from the Lodge consecrated Lodge Rothes 532
On 18th March 1929 Bro Bell presented to the Lodge a new Third Degree Emblem along with a case to contain it
On 28th October 1929 a Deputation from Lodge St Clair of Balbeggie no 867 headed by R.W.M Bro Jeffries to confer a Third Degree
In the 1930s the lodge was at a very low level and with world war II looming things were very low so in 1940 the Lodge approached Past Master Bro William.H.Carron to return with the view to rebuilding our former status in the years 1941-42 this worked very well and the Lodge once again prospered during these two years the ministry of works took possession of our premises and we moved to Coal wynd and then to Oswald wynd,
On 14th March 1932 we learn of the passing top Grand Lodge above of P.M.Bro David Louden Bro Louden was Master of the Lodge from 1893-1894
On 30th March 1934 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of Bro Ronald Munro Ferguson 1st Vicount Novar a letter of condolences was sent to Vicountess Novar
On 20th January the Master moved that the death of King George V be recorded in the minute book
On 3rd May 1937 Bro George Dempster from Lodge St Oswald no 442 Melbourne Australia presented a gavel to the Lodge a letter of appreciation was sent to Lodge St Oswald no 442
On 15 January 1940 Bro Thomas Simpson was appointed Secretary
On 18th February 1940 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M.Bro Stuart McDonald Bro McDonald was Master of the Lodge from 1906-1908
On 18th November 1940 we received a letter from P.G.L regarding air raid warnings ( see below )
On 17th March we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M Bro William Clark Bro Clark was Master of the Lodge from 1924-1926
On 18th December 1941 Bro A Stevenson P.M of Lodge St Clair of Dysart 520 presented to the lodge a ritual belonging to P.M Bro Walker who was Master of the Lodge from 1886-1888 Bro Stevenson gave a resume of its history
On 15th February 1943 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M.Bro James Louden Bro Louden was Master of the Lodge from 1929-1930
On 1st March 1943 the Lodge presented a floor standing lamp to P.M Bro William H Carron for his services as R.W.M for a second term from 1940-1942
On 22nd April we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M.Bro James Gentles Bro Gentles was Master of the Lodge from 1916-1918
On 5th July 1943 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M.Bro John Methven Bro Methven was Master of the Lodge from 1926-1929
On 20th September 1943 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M.Bro William Wright Bro Wright was Master of the Lodge from 1910-1912
On 8th November 1943 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M.Bro William Lumsden Bro Lumsden was Master of the Lodge from 1915-1916
On December 1943 it was agreed that 10/- to be allocated to each member serving with the armed forces at home and cigarettes to the same value to members overseas and prisoners of war
This year 1943 the Lodge had 58 Intrants and 2 Affiliates the highest total since 1922 40 Brethern were advanced to the Mark
On 6th March 1944 Bro Secretary announced that 33 gifts were sent to members of the Lodge serving with H.M Forces he also announced that 17 letter of appreciation had been received and had much pleasure in reading them to the Lodge
On 15th May 1944 Bro Secretary received letters from Bro D Brown and Bro F.R Ness in india and Bro A Dunsire in Africa acknowledging there letter and gift
On 16th October 1944 R.W.M Bro David White extended a welcome home to Bro Leask on his repatriation from Germany
On 23rd October Bro Dan Simpson gifted six Volumes of The History Freemasonry to be used by the Lodge
On 6th November 1944 P.M Bro David Deas was installed as Provincial Grand Junior Deacon
On 20th November 1944 the Bro Secretary agreed to gift a further £1 to all members serving with H.M Forces seconded by Bro Thomson
This year 1944 we saw 65 intrants into the Lodge 82 Brethern were advanced to the Mark
On 10 th December 1945 R.W.M Bro Cuthill paid special reference to Bro Willerby who had been absent in the force for 9 years
On 17th December Bro Captain John Robb reported on visiting Lodge Aggrey no 1396 Nigeria West Africa during his time with the Forces
This year 1945 we saw 65 intrants same as last year with 46 Brethern advanced to the Mark
After the war we returned to our premises and with compensation from the ministry of works we decorated throughout.
On 24th May 1946 The Lodge held a a victory dance in the Adam Smith Halls
On 9th September 1946 A Deputation of 60 Brethern from Lodge St Margarets Hope no 1184 were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 2nd December 1946 Bro Hunter raised the the matter of having a Regalia fund for replenishment of our Regalia seconded by Bro E Page it was agreed that all profits from further social activities be forward to this fund
In the year ending 1946 we saw 80 intrants into the Lodge with 40 meetings being held 68 Brethern were advanced to the Mark Degree
On 28th April 1947 A Deputation from The Lodge of Journeymen Masons no8 Edinburgh headed by R.W.M.Bro Robert Smith was received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree after the conculsion of the Degree Bro Smith presented to the lodge a history of the Lodge of Journeyman Masons compiled by P.M Bro Stewart Heggie who was part of the Deputation this evening
On 26th May 1947 we received a new carpet at the cost of £30-6/8 being shared with Lodge no 72
On 25th October 1947 A Deputation from Lodge “The Kings Park ” no 1386 headed by R.W.M Bro Smith were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 17th November 1947 Bro Secretary reported on representing the Lodge at Lodge St Clair of Balbeggie’s 50th anniversary
On 1st December 1947 A Letter from Lodge Major Ness no 948 was read thanking us for gifting them our old carpet
In the year ending 1947 we saw 83 intrants into the Lodge with 40 Meetings being held and 86 Brethern advanced to the Mark Degree
On 5th April 1948 A letter from Messrs Hattoline + Sons accepting our order for 15 aprons and sashs and 3 sets of gauntlets at a cost of 19 clothing coupons
On 8th May 1948 A Deputation from Lodge Ballingry no 1183 headed by R.W.M Bro Andrew Russell were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 31st May 1948 A Deputation from Lodge Wemyss no 777 headed by R.W.M Bro Thomas Anderson were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degee
On 27th September A Deputation from The Lodge of Kirkcaldie no 72 headed by R.W.M Bro Andrew Grant were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 11th October 1948 we learn that R.W.M Bro Edward Page was to leave the district therefore resigning the position of R.W.Master P.M Bro Cuthill to fill in till installation meeting
On 25th October Bro W Lee presented to the Lodge an easel to hold the Tracing Board
On 8th November 1948 The Lodge agreed to hold a childrens treat and an old folks treat on the 11th December this was our first endevour to hold such treats
Both these event proving very sucessful
In the year ending 1948 we saw 49 intrants into the Lodge with 36 meeting being held and 42 Brethern being advanced to the Mark
On 14th March 1949 A Deputation from Lodge Solomon no 1209 headed by R.W.M Bro Laing were received into the Lodge to work a mark Degree
On 13th February 1950 Bro Ronaldson presented to the Lodge a new Volume of the Sacred Law
On 24th April A Deputation from Lodge “The Kings Park ” headed by R.W.M Bro W.M.Young was received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 29th September 1950 A Deputation from Lodge St Margarets Hope No 1184 headed by R.W.M Bro W Main was received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
In the year ending 1950 we saw 27 Intrants into the Lodge with 26 meetings being held and 33 Brethern advanced to the Mark
On 30th April 1951 A Deputation from Lodge St Fothads no 1059 Headed by R.W.M Bro Gourlay were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
The minutes record that the masonic homes Auld Wharrie Dunblane was opened on Saturday 27th October 1951
On 12th November 1951 A Deputation from Lodge Oswald of Dunnikier 468 worked a Master Masons Degree at Lodge Dunse no 23
At a meeting dated 11th February 1952 secretary read obituary inscribed in the minute book in tribute to the memory of the Late King George VI Past Grand Master Mason Of Scotland who died on 6th February the brethern observed two minute silence in token of our esteem and respect
A Letter From P.G Secretary was read stating that Three Months of Mourning will be observed by the Scottish Craft and that all Aprons of the Office Bearers should be covered in black crepe or black rosettes The Alter of the Lodge to be draped with a black or purple cloth and no social functions to be held by any Lodge till after 21st February
On 11th February 1952 A Deputation from Lodge Lindores no 106 headed by R.W.M Bro Davidson were received into the Lodge to Work a Master Masons Degree
On 14th April 1952 A Deputation from Lodge Elgin and Bruce no 1077 headed by R.W.M Bro Lord Bruce were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 13th October it is with regret that we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M.Bro B.F Page Bro Page was Master of the Lodge from 1936-1939 we also learn that three other brethern had passed to Grand Lodge above Bro Sir Michael Nairn Bro A Muirhead and Bro James Kennedy
On 27th October A Deputation from Abernethy Round Tower Lodge no 1429 headed by R.W.M Bro Ferguson were received into the Lodge to work an Entered Apprentice Degree
On 29th November 1952 A Deputation from Lodge Dunse no 23 headed by R.W.M Bro Kinross were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 9th March 1953 A Deputation from Lodge St Andrew no 25 headed by R.W.M Bro G.Gordon were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 16th April 1953 A Deputation from Oswald of Dunnikier 468 went to Abernethy Round Tower Lodge no 1429 to work a First Degree
On 24th December 1953 A Deputation from Provincial Grand Lodge of Fife and Kinross headed by Bro John Wilson R.W Depute Provincial Grand Master were received into the Lodge to work the Installation Meeting Of Bro John McEwan Young The Installing Team This evening were Bro D.S.C McNeil Provincial Grand Secretary and Bro Rt Hon Lord Bruce R.W Substitute Provincial Grand Master
On 28th December 1953 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M Bro David White Bro White was Master of the Lodge from 1942-1944
On 22nd February 1954 A Deputation from Lodge Lindores no 106 headed by R.W.M Bro McGregor were received into the Lodge to work an Entered Apprentice Degree
In the Year ending 1954 we saw 33 intrants into the Lodge with 23 meetings being held 24 brethern being advanced to the Mark
On 14th March 1955 A Deputation from Lodge St Clair of Dysart no 520 headed by R.W.M Bro William Grubb was received into the Lodge to work an Entered Apprentice Degree
On 23rd May 1955 Bro Robert Muir Somerville was initiated into the Lodge Bro Somerville was later to become one of Lodge Oswald of Dunnikiers most respected patrons ( A more in depth record of Bro Somervilles Masonic Career is in a dedications page on this website )
On 12th December 1955 A Deputation from Provincial Grand Lodge of Fife and Kinross headed by Bro John Wilson R.W Depute Provincial Grand Master were received into the Lodge to work the Installation Meeting Of Bro Thomas William.Pinchen The Installing Team This evening were Bro D.S.C McNeil Provincial Grand Secretary and Bro Rt Hon Lord Bruce R.W Substitute Provincial Grand Master
On 13th February 1956 A Deputation from Lodge Lindores no 106 headed by R.W.M Bro James Pitcathly were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree On the same evening Bro Robert Muir Somerville was elected Sword Bearer
On 23rd April 1956 A Deputation from Lodge St Andrew no 25 headed by R.W.M Bro Thomas Pallin were received into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
In the year ending 1956 we saw 35 intrants into the Lodge with 25 meetings being held 26 brethern were advanced to the Mark
On 18th March 1957 A Deputation from Lodge Duneaen no 400 headed by R.W.M Bro George Brummer were recieved into the Lodge to work an Entered Apprentice Degree
On 14th October 1957 in token of our esteem and for services rendered to freemasonry in general Honorary Membership of the Lodge was conferred on
Bro Rt Hon Lord Bruce Provincial Grand Master Of Fife and Kinross
On 24th March 1958 A Deputation from Lodge Lindores no 106 headed by R.W.M Bro James Burnett were recieved into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 24th April 1958 in token of our esteem and for sevices rendered to freemasonry in general Honorary Membership of the Lodge was conferred on
Bro D.S.C.Mcneill Provincial Grand Secretary Of Fife and Kinross
The historical sketch of the lodge would not be complete without mentioning the name of Bro David Deas R.W.Master 1921 and 1922 who died on 26th may 1958 Bro Deas was a very familiar figure in our assemblies and dominated that position for over 40 years holding continuosly the office of chaplain and also as proxy from the Lodge at Grand Lodge he was also a faithful member of the Provincial Grand Lodge attaining the rank of Provincial Grand Senior Warden and also conferred with Honorary Grand Architect by Grand Lodge Bro Deas was held in high esteem in all branches of masonry of his association and the Lodge in mourning his demise was compiled and ably delivered as inscribed in the minute book by Bro Thos Simpson Secreetary
On 26th July 1958 it is with regret were learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M Bro John Ingram Bro Ingram was Master of the lodge from 1932-193
On 8th October 1958 the lodge in recognition the ungrudging services rendered by Bro Thomas Simpson presented him with a secretary’s gold jewel suitably inscribed in token of the devoted services rendered to the Lodge throughout the years 1940-1958
In the year ending 1958 we saw 25 intrants into the Lodge with 19 meetings being held 20 brethern were advanced to the Mark
On 25th October 1959 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of Bro William H Ogilvie who served the Lodge as Organist for many years and also was at the time of his death he was Provincial Grand Director of Music
In the year ending 1959 we saw 27 intrants into the Lodge with 18 meetings being held 20 brethern were advanced to the Mark
On 25th January 1960 A Deputation from Lodge Lindores no 106 headed by R.W.M Bro Alex Gardener were recieved into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 12th December 1960 P.M Bro Andrew Penman of Lodge St Clair of Dysart no 520 was given Honorary Membership of the Lodge
In the year ending 1960 we saw 18 intrants into the Lodge with 18 meetings being held 14 brethern were advanced to the Mark
On 23rd March 1961 Bro Secretary along with S.M Bro Henderson visited the two Scottish Masonic Homes in Dunblane Randolph Hill and Ault Wharrie and were very warmly welcomed Bro Secretary reported that our contributions to these premises were well spent
On 10th April 1961 two distinguished brethern from Lodge Sir Walter Scott no 859 Western Australia in the persons of Bro Peter M Cameron J.P District Grand Master and Bro James R Bell Proxy District Grand Master visited the Lodge
On 24th April 1961 A Deputation from Lodge Lindores no 106 headed by R.W.M Bro Alex Taylor were recieved into the Lodge to work an Entered Apprentice Degree
On 12th June 1961 it is with regret that we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of P.M Bro William Hampton Carron Bro Carron was Initiated into the Lodge on the 2nd June 1913 He was Master of the Lodge from 1918-1920 and again from 1940-1942 completing 58 years membership He was Also the Founding First Principal of the Royal Arch Chapter St Serf of Dysart no 514 and was a member of many other Masonic Orders
On 11th December 1961 Bro Alexander Morgan presented to the Lodge Two Walnut Collection Plates
In the year ending 1961 we saw 13 intrants into the Lodge with 17 meetings being held 18 Brethern were advanced to the Mark
In the year ending 1962 we saw 16 intrants into the Lodge with 16 meetings being held 10 Brethern were advanced to the Mark
At a regular meeting dated 11th Febuary 1963 by special invitation Bro Lord Bruce Provincial Grand Master of Fife and Kinross and Grand Master Mason of Scotland in addressing Bro Thomas Simpson Secretary referred to the services rendered to freemasonry in general and in particular Lodge no 468 and it was but fitting the Lodge recognise same by causing this Honour to be bestowed and it was his pleasure on behalf of the Lodge to present Bro Simpson with the Distinguished Service Diploma and in congratulating him on attending this Honour wished him good health to continue the good work of the craft
On 29th April 1963 A Deputation from Lodge Lindores no 106 headed by R.W.M Bro James Davidson were recieved into the lodgeto work a Master Masons Degree
In the year ending 1963 we saw 12 intrants into the Lodge with 17 meetings being held 12 brethern were advanced to the Mark
On 2nd March 1964 A Deputation from Lodge Robert De Bruce no 106 headed by R.W.M Bro Thomas Young were recieved into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
On 12th May 1964 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of Bro Walter G.P.Watt Treasurer for the past ten years Bro Watt was initiated into the Lodge on 13th February 1950 thereafter becoming Almoner until 1954 when he took up position of Treasurer and in token of our esteem and appreciation of his faithful services a funeral Lodge was to be held on the 1st June 1964
In the year ending 1964 we saw 17 intrants into the Lodge with 19 meetings being held 17 brethern were advanced to the Mark
On 28th April 1965 we learn of the passing to Grand Lodge above of Bro Peter Clarkson Hunter Bro Hunter was initiated into the Lodge on 3rd February 1941 and was Secretary from 1944-1951
On 10th May 1965 A Deputation from Lodge Lindores no 106 headed by R.W.W, Bro Johnson Morris was recieved into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
In the year ending 1965 we saw 16 intrants into the Lodge with 18 meetings being held no Mark Degree were held
On 10th January 1966 A Deputation from Lodge Thane of Fife no 781 headed by R.W.M Bro Andrew Adamson was received into the Lodge to work a Mark Master Masons Degree
On 14th February 1966 A Deputation from Lodge St John Dalzell no 406 headed by R.W.M Bro Gordon McPhee was recieved into the Lodge to work a Master Masons Degree
In the year ending 1966 we saw 8 intrants into thre Lodge with 12 meetings being held 11 brethern were advanced to the Mark
On the 4th day of February 1967 the lodge held a service of re-dedication in honour of our centenary and the consecration of our new regalia
Office Bearers 1966-1967 Centenary Year
R.W Master Bro Robert M.Somerville
I.P.Master Bro S.B.Arthur
Depute Master Bro Robert More
Subst Master Bro Wilfred Lee P.M
Senior Warden Bro Thomas Mustard
Junior Warden Bro David Todd
Secretary Bro Thos Simpson
Treasurer Bro Robert S.Wallace P.M
Almoner Bro Andrew K.Anderson
Chaplain Bro James M.Henderson P.M
Senior Deacon Bro James Grubb
Junior Deacon Bro Robert B.Duncan
Dir Of Ceremonies Bro Archibald Brown
Architect Bro John W.Simpson
Jeweller Bro David .C Foggo
Bible Bearer Bro William Fleming snr
Sword Bearer Bro Alexander Miller
Dir Of Music Bro Andrew Wales
Inner Guard Bro John Marshall
Marshal Bro William Fleming jr
Steward Bro David Richie
Tyler Bro Henry Milne